Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

  1. #31
    Inactive Member
    I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession


    aoa_stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 5th, 2006
    Posts
    880
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    60% of the time it works everytime
    [img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/rayscheer159/rolltide.jpg[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_coach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to agree with PVfan.

    That doesn't really make sense. As soon as the ball is handed to Team A, even if they are out of bounds it is in their posession.
    </div></div>

    The ball is at their disposal/control/possession, what ever you want to call it, which is the START of the throw-in. The throw-in ENDS when the passed ball touches another player inbounds or out of bounds (Rule 4-43-5) The AP arrow is set at the COMPLETION of the THROW-IN. The throw-in discussed in the original post was never completed. That's the Rule.

  3. #33
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    I understand it now. I talked to my ref-friend last night and discussed this with him. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  4. #34
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Albert E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_coach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to agree with PVfan.

    That doesn't really make sense. As soon as the ball is handed to Team A, even if they are out of bounds it is in their posession.
    </div></div>

    The ball is at their disposal/control/possession, what ever you want to call it, which is the START of the throw-in. The throw-in ENDS when the passed ball touches another player inbounds or out of bounds (Rule 4-43-5) The AP arrow is set at the COMPLETION of the THROW-IN. The throw-in discussed in the original post was never completed. That's the Rule. </div></div>

    To be clear, wouldn't that have to be a completed Throw-in without violation? If not, but what you have said above, it would have been a completed throw-in because it was touched by a foot.

    I understand the rule, but I do think it is a flawed rule. Because A could then commit a foul prior to a throw in and still retain the possession arrow.

    But as with each sport, there are many rules with holes in them.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #35
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    So what happens if the inbounding team throws the ball off the defending teams leg would that keep the possesion arrow pointing at them? (If so that sounds like a loophole that some one would/could exploit)

  6. #36
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    Leg and foot should be classified as two different things.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #37
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    True BUT since the ball would be off the Defending team AND there was not possession taken by the Offenceve team would it matter?

  8. #38
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    "The throw-in ENDS when the passed ball touches another player inbounds or out of bounds "

    It doesn't have to be possessed by either team, simply touched. Thats why I put in there without violation to make it a little clearer. Don't hold me to being 100% on this, its just my understanding. I don't work bball.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #39
    Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2003
    Posts
    119
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    If team A has the ball for a throw in as a result of a held ball, the possession arrow is supposed to be changed when A1 receives the ball. If team B kicks the ball, then team A's new throw in is a result of the violation. If team A fouls during the throw in, then team B will get the ball and then team B will get the next possession after a held ball.

  10. #40
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    A1 as in the person inbounding the ball, correct? That is they way I thought it was interpretted, but thought this other stuff could be part of basketball that was a hole in my info. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •